Solano County COVID-19 Update 30 April 2020
Highlights of the Latest for Solano County Courthouse (updated through April 30, 2020):
- Access to Court Files. While the public cannot view files, copies of documents may be purchased by calling (707) 207-7340 or [email protected]
- Court Closure. Solano County remains under Shelter in Place Orders through May 17, 2020. Court operations will continue to be limited during this timeframe.
- Court Hearings.
- Commencing May 4, 2020, Departments 14 and 16 will hear up to SIX contested custody/visitation hearings per day on Mondays and Tuesdays. Departments 3 and10 will hear up to SIX contested custody/visitation hearings per day on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Social distancing protocols vary based on the specific judge. These protocols include but are not limited to distancing in the courtroom, opening up the jury box for litigants to use, and staying outside the courtroom until the matter is ready to be heard. Masks are not mandated inside the courtroom, and if a litigant chooses to wear a mask, the judge may ask the person to remove their mask while testifying.
- Contested custody matters still require mediation. The Court encourages out of court mediation, which does require a small fee; however, out of court mediation is not required. Mediation sessions will all occur via phone. There will be no videoconference option for mediation.
- Ex Parte (emergency) hearings are heard every day at 1:30 pm.
- Some Settlement Conferences will be heard on Fridays.
- Parties may appear via phone (using CourtCall) or videoconference (using Zoom).For a matter to be heard via Zoom, all parties must agree. Otherwise, the appearance will be telephonic.
- Hearings will be scheduled on a “staggered” basis in 30-minute time slots, rather than the prior 8:30 am or 10:00 am set.
- Informal case management or settlement conferences may be arranged by directlycontacting the department if both parties agree. Department 16 specifically is offering these informal hearings to assist litigants whose trials have been disrupted by the court shutdown.
- Court reporters will have some availability to assist with putting agreements on the record.
- Effective April 30, 2020, all Solano County Judges and Commissioners are cross-designated to all divisions. This means that a matter may be heard by any Solano County Judge or Commissioner, regardless of the department to which it is usually assigned.